Sunday, March 16, 2014

Weird Beauty Rituals and Calming Beauty Moments

When I was much younger I used to devour the pages of fashion magazines, hoping for the magic, the secrets, that would make me more beautiful. And the headlines promised it: "Seven Steps To Perfect Skin", "How To Have Farrah Fawcett's Hair," "Get A Bikini Body In Ten Minutes A Day."

The quest for magical beauty is ancient, as revealed in these bizarre practices:
  • Crocodile dung baths. The ancient Greeks and Romans would slather themselves with dirt and croc feces to beautify their skin. I never saw a wrinkly Ancient Roman, so . . ?
  • Dimple machines. This one didn't catch on.
 
  • Tapeworm diet, I am not making this up. Apparently, the tapeworms had to be removed at a later date in "an unpleasant fashion."
Easy to swallow, though!


There are a few odd beauty treatments I've dabbled in, that aren't offered at the Red Door Spa. These include the Pepto Bismal facial mask, and Preparation H for under-eye bags.

As I age though, life in the beauty lane is actually getting simpler. I choose routines that are basic and soothing, and - except for professional hair care - inexpensive. I make a habit of slowing down to enjoy some of them, like:

  • Moisturizing my body and hands with something that smells good.



  • Nail polishing.
  • Hair washing, to include a good head massage.
But the attire is not this glam. Source.
  • Steaming my face over a cup of tea.
  • Perfuming myself (no lingering croc dung odors for this petite flower!)

Have you experimented with any unusual beauty rituals? Spill your story, especially if it works. And do you enjoy calming beauty routines too?

Have a magnificent Monday, and stay fabulous,








Visible Monday is on its "off" week this week, so we can recharge and refresh.  We'll be back on Monday, March 24th (actually, the Sunday evening before)!

19 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm still laughing, I can remember wanting to give the dimple one a try since my best friend (as a teenager) had the cutest dimples and I did not. I did try the mayo hair conditioning which isn't a great idea for my type of hair. I do enjoy the pleasure of soaking in a nice bath filled with essential oils and even lighting some candles, I believe its just as good for my mind as my body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Patti, I never heard about a dimple machine before ! I must feel lucky to have dimples, then ? I didn't know it ! :) I have your same beauty routine pleasures, especially moisturizing, putting nail polish on and using perfume is a must ! Kisses

    Fashion and Cookies

    ReplyDelete
  3. The crocodile dung and dimple device were news to me. I enjoy a warm pampering bath, followed by lot of fragrant body lotion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother used to do Prep H on the eye bags. I remember high school friends using mayonnaise as a hair conditioner. My hair and scalp were already so oily the thought of this absolutely horrified me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PinkCheetahVintageMarch 16, 2014 at 8:17 PM

    I wish there was a real dimple machine! I'm so horrid with this stuff... I'm lucky if I get all my eye-liner off at night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HappinessatmidlifeMarch 16, 2014 at 9:06 PM

    Interesting beauty tips of the past - this was fun! I wished I had some beauty secrets to share. My beauty regiment is so simple - just wash your face daily with mild face soap. (I have been using Cetaphil for years).


    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had heard about the tape worm one before but not the others. Not that they are surprising really. There were some wacky ones but our desire for beauty magic doesn't seem to diminish. My favourite is a long soak in a bubble bath followed by slathering on body lotion and a quick pedicure. I do like fragrances though many work places now ban them. I at least don't have to worry about that anymore. I always paint my toes though rarely my fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like an aspirin mask when my skin is really bad. I like henna for my hair. My grandmother used to be a fan of mayo hair masks, but the acids in it strip the color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Patti,
    I can't imagine taped worms!
    I keep it simple as i'm getting older - One of those days i will do post on my beauty routine;)
    Have a great Monday

    Arianexo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are just horrifying. There was a recent BBC4 documentary about the lethal things Victorian ladies did to stay beautiful. I think one of the worst was wearing celluloid corsets which had a habit of combusting and burning them alive! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gush I am thankful I have my natural dimples ^_^ I experimented putting honey no my face my face gets red and puffy for days!! I never do it again. ^_^ My moisturizer now is organic coconut oil...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember touring the Mark Twain house and Harriet Beecher Stowe house in middle school and being horrified at how the women used arsenic & lead (among other things) to achieve the pale skin so popular among the middle & upper classes in the 19th century.

    I love to do a hair deep conditioning mask when I'm in a bubble bath (glass of wine, lightly scented candle are necessities, of course ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nope, I don't think I do anything unusual, but I do enjoy a bit of nurture with things like doing my nails or plucking my eyebrows. One benefit of fine hair is that plucking and waxing doesn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow this is all too interesting. Thanks for sharing. Rachel xo-when does Visible Monday go live?

    ReplyDelete
  15. OIl for making hair soft and healthy. Look on line for the Pro Natural's Argan Oil shampoo and see for yourself how soft and moisturized your hair will be!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You can use Argan oil to soften and moisturize your hair. Go online and check Pro Natural's Argan OIl shampoo. It's mildness won't damage your hair but it will make it softer and healthier looking!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ugh, I'll pass on the dimple device and the tapeworms, thanks! I'm like you, I keep my routine simple and parasite-free! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would have bought the dimple machine. I wanted them so badly.
    Greetje

    ReplyDelete
  19. Always massage scalp and please be gentle on your hair, use the shampoo which is sulfate free! Sulfate can cause damage and dry out your hair. Free your hair from tangles and dryness, use argan oil shampoo from Pro Natural's. Then feel the softness and smoothness of your hair!

    ReplyDelete